The towns of Gering and Scottsbluff are collaborating on plans for a weekend of Eclipse events for visitors and residents; here is a preview of our scheduled of events with more information and events coming soon!
Friday, August 18th
Moon Over the Monument Nightlife in downtown Gering and Scottsbluff; special Eclipse events, menus and promotions at restaurants, bars-clubs and stores.
Saturday, August 19, 2017
- 18th Street “Eclipse” Farmers Market (Scottsbluff) with extended hours; 8:00 am to 1:00 pm (18th Street Plaza in Downtown Scottsbluff)
- Legacy of the Plains Museum (Gering) Eclipse on the Oregon Trail events; 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Western Nebraska Vintage Motorcycle Show & Swap Meet (Scottsbluff) – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm – Explore the popularity of vintage motorcycles on display; with special events showcasing the Total Solar Eclipse.
- High Plains Riot-Rat Rod Car Show (Gering) – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm – Rat rods, muscle cars, low riders and pedal car show; a blue-collar hot rod show that is the working class answer to high-dollar hot rods”. (Weborg 21 Center in Gering)
- Best of the West “Eclipse” Beer & Wine Festival (Scottsbluff) – 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm Beer & Wine tasting, live entertainment, food and fun (18th Street Plaza in Downtown Scottsbluff) – Buy Tickets
- Midwest Theater Laser Spectacular to the music of Pink Floyd (Scottsbluff) – 8:00 pm at historic Midwest Theater
Sunday, August 20, 2017
- Scotts Bluff National Monument (Gering) Eclipse Programs – 2:00 p.m. – “Eclipses in a historical context”
- “Moon Over the Monument” Welcome Event (Gering) – 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm – Eclipse visitors and residents invited to the FREE event at Gering’s Five Rocks Amphitheater to the official event to welcome guests, family and friends to Gering and Scottsbluff area for the Total Solar Eclipse. On stage, will be cultural programs featuring Greek Dancers, Los Guadalupanos dancers, Native American dancers and live folk music. Food trucks and community booths on site (Five Rocks Amphitheater-2505 D Street in Gering).
Monday, August 21, 2017 – The Great American Solar Eclipse 2017 in Gering and Scottsbluff
Moon Over the Monument Official Eclipse Viewing Sites:
- Viewing Sites open at 8:00 a.m. (MDT)
- FREE Official Solar Eclipse Glasses for everyone viewing at the sites
- Complimentary bottle of water for all Eclipse viewers
- Breakfast on sale for viewers
- Live radio remotes for traffic reports, eclipse information and safety tips
- Bring your lawn chairs, picnic baskets and get ready for Totality at 11:48 am!
Official Eclipse Viewing Locations:
- Five Rocks Amphitheater – Gering – 2505 D Street
- Legacy of the Plains Museum – Gering – 2930 Old Oregon Trail
- Landers Soccer Fields – 4205 5th Avenue – Scottsbluff
About Our Viewing Sites
Five Rocks Amphitheater – 2505 D Street in Gering: Located along Five Rocks Road (former Highway 71) just north of the Robidoux RV Park, on the southwest edge of Gering, this outdoor amphitheater and pavilion is home to concerts and other open-air entertainment in the summer months. Named after the five sandstone rock formations that surround the venue; Dome Rock, Sentinel Rock, Eagle Rock, Saddle Rock and Crown Rock; the 1,500 permanent seats are complimented with surrounding grass-area seating and 40 x 120 pavilion with concessions stand and multiple restrooms. The venue includes a playground structure and 8 acres of buffalo grass enclosed with fencing and some of the most scenic and breathtaking views in Western Nebraska.
For the eclipse we expect up to 4,000 viewers at this location; with seating on the benches and/or bring your own lawn chairs and blankets. Multiple parking areas are well marked and will be manned by City staff for Eclipse Day. Each guest at Five Rocks will receive a pair of official eclipse eyewear and a bottle of water. Breakfast will be served at this location. KNEB Radio will be onsite from 6:00 am to 12:00 Noon for live broadcasts, traffic reports and eclipse viewing updates.
Legacy of the Plains Museum – 2930 Old Oregon Trail in Gering: Located on the Oregon Trail, the Legacy of the Plains Museum features an impressive collection of pioneer and early community artifacts, antique tractors, and farm implements; an 80-acre working farm; historic farmstead structures; and striking views of Scotts Bluff National Monument. Come live the timeless stories of the Nebraska prairie.
For the eclipse we expect about 1,500 viewers at this location. Each guest will need to bring lawn chairs or a blanket. People movers will be available to help transport guests to the viewing area with the beautiful Scotts Bluff National Monument in sight. Each guest will receive a pair of official eclipse eyewear and a bottle of water. Breakfast and lunch options will be served. Both indoor and additional porta potties will be available for use.
Landers Soccer Field – 4205 5th Avenue in Scottsbluff: Landers soccer complex is located on the north end of Scottsbluff. With over 40 acres of open grass turf, Landers will welcome up to 3,000 guests for the eclipse viewing on August 21st, 2017. Gates will open at 8:00am. Guests will receive water and eclipse safety glasses while supplies last. Additional food, drinks, and snack items will be available for purchase. Bluffs Broadcasting will be live on site from 10am -12pm with updates and viewing safety tips.